The Formulation Technician will carry out the preparation and testing of formulation samples to satisfy some of the R&D objectives of the company. The formulation technician supports the development and testing of new products and development programs undertaken by the chemists and interacts closely with the study team to ensure that all formulation data generated is to the appropriate international standards. The R&D team are based at a modern research and development facility in lovely rural surroundings.This position is responsible for workforce planning for studies in the areas of Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacology, and Toxicology to ensure staffing and technical resources meet client/study requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare samples of a range of formulation types (e.g. suspensions, emulsions, granules and powders) using specialist laboratory scale equipment.
- Perform and record detailed physical property measurements and assessments of storage stability under a range of temperature conditions in accordance with the relevant study plans, guidelines and crop protection directives.
- Perform and record detailed physical/chemical assessments of formulation characteristics to determine the acceptability of recipes.
- Use novel testing procedures.
- Support global sampling by preparing and dispatching samples for use in regulatory studies.
- Accurately record data from all studies in raw-data records, electronic databases and spreadsheets
- Maintain all formulations laboratory resources and equipment to an acceptable standard.
- Work to the principles of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
- Work according to documented procedures, policies and safety standards.
- Contribute to the formulation team meetings.
- Reviews study tasks daily to assess staffing needs including appropriate technical resource/experience meets or exceeds study demands
- Ensures qualified staff is scheduled to meet study specific requirements.
- Communicates on an as needed basis with Study Directors, Study Coordinators, Clients and Operations Supervisors/Managers. issues.
- Attends weekly logistic meetings with management to discuss staffing needs and study specific requirements in current environment as well as forecasting for upcoming studies and technical/staffing needs.
- Maintains skills to perform all study tasks required of a Study Technician to cover any unforeseen technical requirements when needed
- Responds to all related queries in a timely manner to ensure business demands are met.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Provides scientific support and administrative documentation for toxicology studies for one client at a time, including pre-study tasks (e.g., protocol development and scheduling) and interacting with client – including but not limited to:
- Assist in the preparation of study protocols, interim scientific reports, and the creation of final reports
- Draft deviations and protocol amendments if necessary
- Prepare raw data notebooks and pertinent records, and ensure that these records are in compliance with applicable federal guidelines
- Provide observations of animals for detection of disease or other health problems, and administer prescribed treatments for animals as directed
- Develop and maintain proficiency in the use of equipment and instruments in an area of specialty
- Draft/write SOPs and procedures for area
- QC study protocols and/or reports
- Participate in training and oversight of study technicians and aid utilization of their time effectively
- Help address QA audit findings
- Provide support to technicians, scientists, and study directors
- May be assigned some supervisory roles
- Provide weekend, holiday, and after hours work as needed
Basic Minimum Qualifications (BMQ):
- At least 2 years' work experience in formulation and product development.
- Good organization skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Broad range of experience in formulation preparation & testing in laboratory.
- A sound understanding of the principles of GLP.
- Diligent with attention to detail.
- Good verbal communication skills and able to keep detailed records.
- Computer literacy for the use of Excel, Access, and other MS Office software.
- Ability to work under pressure and have a flexible attitude.
- Meets qualifications for and has at least 2 years experience as Study Technician
- Demonstrated knowledge study types and scientific requirements for various types of studies and associated tasks
- Demonstrated proficiency in preparation of study protocols and relevant scientific reporting, SOPs and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficient use of relevant equipment and instruments
Ability and/or Skills (BMQ):
Demonstrated ability to recommend and participate in training of study technicians., Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate tasks with multiple and competing priority, time management skills, ability to anticipate future needs related to workforce planning
This position description is written as a guideline to inform employees of what is generally expected of them at each job level. The description is not intended to be all encompassing or limiting in any manner; rather, it is hoped it will add understanding and better reflect the work performed at all levels of employment. Duties and responsibilities other than those listed may be included as needed within the work group or the company as a whole.